Spicy Sweet Potato Hash


I absolutely love breakfast foods, but I hardly ever make them. My standard breakfast consists of a bowl of Special K or Multi-grain cheerios. Occasionally, I'll make a bowl of oatmeal, but on most mornings I can't be bothered to put a bowl in the microwave (No judging). So when I had the brilliant idea to make breakfast for dinner last night, I was very excited to try some breakfast recipes that have been lingering in my mind. I made this spicy sweet potato hash and a smoked salmon frittata (recipe coming soon).

This hash was absolutely delicious. It's healthy and flavorful and pretty easy to throw together. It has sweet potatoes, onions, and red peppers. It did involve a lot of chopping, but that can all be done ahead of time. And of course you can chop the pieces to be a bit larger, which will save some time. I, however, have this crazy idea that things taste better when they're chopped smaller (remember, no judging). This, of course, makes making salad a very labor intensive process for me. My salads are exclusively chopped: chopped greek salad, chopped cobb salad, chopped chicken ceasar salad... you get the idea. The bottom line is, whatever size you chop your potatoes, this will still be amazing.

* Note: I read a bunch of different recipes for hashes and some of them had you boil the potato pieces in some water for about 3 - 4 minutes before you put them in the pan with the onions and peppers to make sure they were cooked all the way. I decided to do that, but ultimately came to the conclusion that if you chop your potatoes as small as I did, it's unnecessary. If your pieces are larger, go ahead and boil them first to make sure they are cooked all the way through, but they only need a couple minutes. They should be slightly tender but still hold their shape.

Spicy Sweet Potato Hash
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbls vegetable oil
  • 2 - 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped* (See note above)
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 red pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (add more if you want, I have a low spice tolerance)
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
Directions:
  1. Pour the oil into a large skillet and place over high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients, lower the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender and some are browned. The potatoes will begin to stick as they cook. Just continue to turn with a spatula.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

gorgeous dish

Anonymous said...

I love sweet potatoes. Serving it this way is something new. Over here, we tend to serve it in the form of a dessert with ginger broth.

Lora said...

This looks delish. I LOVE sweet and spicy.

SweetsSuccessBaking said...

A new way to love them! Thanks

Sweet Pea Chef said...

That looks so good! I am a cereal person as well, though I have found making breakfast for dinner is a good way to enjoy breakfast again too!

Monica said...

I just made this for supper and it is surely delicous! I love love love sweet potatoes!

Jaime said...

Need to try this! I have a whole box of sweet potatoes just waiting to be eaten!

Post a Comment